Sunday, September 20, 2009

Scott Antique Market

I love going to flea/antique markets. My boyfriend doesn't understand why I like to look at other people's old stuff...and neither do I. It's just something that makes me happy.

If you haven't been to the Scott Antique Market you need to check it out next month. October 9th, 10th, and 11th. If you really want the full experience you should plan to spend at least two days there. There is just too much stuff to look at in one day. Also, the two buildings they use at the Atlanta Expo Center are right across the highway from each other, so you have to take a shuttle from one to the other.

Tips for your flea market adventure:
-Wear comfy shoes. There are a LOT of booths to look through and the buildings are large.
-Bring cash or checks. The sellers like cash better and it's kind of sketchy to bargain something down and then write a check...(well, I would feel bad doing that - you might not)
-Bring an extra bag or a large purse to hold the things you buy. Next time, I'm going to take a small rolling suitcase because I have a tendency to buy things that are awkward to carry.
-Take a friend! But agree that it's okay to split up if you need too. You never know when a friend is going to spend an hour (literally) looking at postcards and you might not want to get stuck waiting for them. (Love you Katie.)
-Pack a snack. They have food and drinks available...but it's kind of pricey.

Here are some pictures of the cool stuff I found while there.
Amazing piece of furniture! 31 different drawers. That's my organizing dream right there. I'm already making a list of what I would put in those drawers.

The bench and the lamps - not the naked mannequin. It's hard to see the lamps, but they were very cool squares of wire with different fabrics hanging down to cover the huge bulbs.

Huge "Open" sign that was about 4 feet by 2.5 feet. You could feel the heat radiating from it about three feet away.

Lots of vintage hardware pieces. My friend thought it would be cool to get a bunch and hang them on the wall as an art piece. You could also put the handles back on and use them as a coat rack on the wall.

These are my finds from the flea market trip. I have a thing for old wire baskets and my latest idea is to collect "old letters that are big". I want to have a wall in my house covered with big, random letters. If you have any "old letters that are big" lying around and need a place to dispose of them - just let me know. :)

For those of you not in Atlanta. Check out Hell's Kitchen Flea Market in NY and the Rose Bowl Flea Market in California.

Have a great week!
J Squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment